My Lemon-White Chocolate Flourless Cake
1 1/2 cup of White Chocolate Chips (almost the whole bag you might as well dump them all in)
3 tablespoons of butter
6 Egg Yolks
6 Egg Whites
1/2 cup Sugar
3 Tablespoons of Lemon Powder (available from Targil’s & Amazon)
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- Melt the white chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water, using a whisk to combine well. You can also do this in the microwave simply heat 30 seconds, stop & stir and repeat until everything has melted. Do go more than 30 seconds. At some point you will have a white chocolate Vesuvius & a huge mess. Then let it cool
- Place the egg yolks in a bowl and beat well. Fold in the cooled chocolate mixture. If mixture is hot, it will cook the eggs, be careful.
- In another bowl, whip the egg whites to soft peaks; Mix the lemon powder with the sugar and then slowly add this to the whites. Beat until the mixture gets shiny.
- Fold one-fourth of the egg whites into the yolk mixture a. Carefully fold in the remaining egg whites. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for an hour.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Allow the cake to cool to room temperature.
This has a really light neat consistency. My kids loved it. I think the subtle flavor of the white chocolate chips is the perfect base for the lemon flavor. You could try this with Almond or Banana extract and I think it would be great.